Friday, February 8, 2013

Oliver Walrus - Walrus (1972 Janus)




"Everyone deserves a fat chance". Someone who wants to advertise his music by/with/through the cover art like this  deserves to come noticed. This cover beats all those artsy Hipgnosis ones. And the music... totally comparable to the cover. It is great this was done!

RDTEN (RYM): So here's a career synopsis in Walrus' own words:   

"My career began in the 70's with my band Oliver Walrus ... We played the circuits of Los Angeles including the infamous Troubadour and the Whiskey. I was discovered and signed with Chess Janus Records who had known artist(s) like Bo Didley, Chuck Berry and Jimmy Hendrix among others.  I recorded my first album in 1972.  My song 'Climb, Climb, Climb' was my first top 10 record on the billboard charts [no idea what that means].  My main music background consists of heavy funk that I fused with rock and pop.  I am proud to say that I have a huge fan base still building." 

By the time Walrus and company went into the studio to record 1972's cleverly titled "Walrus", the band showcased the talents of percussionist Warren Bryant, keyboard player  Mark Fiedler, guitarist Robert Franklin, bassist  Michael Herring, and drummer Warren "Bugs" Pemberton.  Produced by Robert Adcock (Joseph Long credited as executive producer), the album typically gets labeled as a slice of horn rock which undoubtedly turns off a big chunk of the potential audience.  True, tracks like 'Let Me Save You' and 'Freedom' featured some horn arrangements, but with the exception of 'You Can't Shine', this wasn't anything like a BS&T, or Chicago album.  Namesake Walrus had an interesting, if not particularly commercial voice - imagine a gruffer version of Meatloaf and you'll be in the right aural neighborhood.  As a band these guys were actually quite tight, though producer Adcock's penchant for adding shrill female backing singers to virtually every track didn't help the proceedings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment